Sausage & Fennel Stuffed Mushrooms
These earthy delights are easy to make and even easier to eat.
Servings: 13 pieces
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, wiped clean,
- 1 tablespoon ghee (or a nice-quality olive oil)
- 1 link hot Italian sausage, casing removed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 finely minced shallots
- 1/2 cup finely minced leeks
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup sourdough bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups goat cheddar cheese, finely grated and divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim the hard ends from mushroom stems, pull the stems off and remove the white spongy flesh around the inside of the mushroom cap.
- Finely dice the stems and set aside.
- Add ghee to a large skillet, on medium heat. Mix in diced mushroom stems, sausage, shallots, leeks and fennel.
- Add sherry and sauté until vegetables are soft and translucent, stirring frequently (6-8 minutes).
- Mix in garlic, 1/4 tsp thyme and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until liquid is incorporated, then add breadcrumbs. Stir until heated through (2-3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and work in 1/2 cup cheese.
- Stuff mushrooms cups with mixture and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then top each mushroom with a small handful of remaining cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted as desired.
- Sprinkle remaining thyme on top to garnish.
Live Naturally is excited to share recipes from students at Bauman College, like Kathryn Ravnik. Bauman is committed to spreading wellness through the healing power of fresh, whole food. Their holistic nutrition and culinary arts programs equip students with the tools necessary to support people – locally and globally – in achieving optimal health. For more info, visit baumancollege.org.