Photo Credit: Aaron Colussi
Ramen with Steak and Shiitake Mushrooms
Simmer aromatics such as fresh ginger, garlic and lemongrass in broth to infuse additional layers of flavor.
Share this Post
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 10 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 2 blocks ramen rice noodles
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, very thinly sliced (about ⅛ inch)
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup tamari
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal; for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish
- Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cabbage, onion, mushrooms, red pepper and a pinch of salt. Sauté about 5 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften. Stir in ginger.
- Add vegetable stock, cover, and bring to a simmer. Simmer about 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add noodles, and cook for 1 minute. When noodles begin to unfold, separate with a fork and reduce heat to a low boil. Simmer 3–4 minutes, until soft. Strain, and rinse with cold water.
- Add noodles to soup, and stir in steak, carrots, tamari, lime juice and salt. Cook steak about 2 minutes, until no longer pink. Season to taste. Garnish with scallions and red pepper flakes.
How to poach an egg In a shallow saucepan over medium heat, bring a couple inches of water and 1 teaspoon white vinegar to a simmer. Crack an egg into a small dish. Carefully swirl water to create a vortex, and pour egg into center of pan. Cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and place in soup.
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 19g | Sodium: 2131mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post