Photo Credit: Aaron Colussi
Ramen with Steak and Shiitake Mushrooms
Simmer aromatics such as fresh ginger, garlic and lemongrass in broth to infuse additional layers of flavor.
Share this Post
Shopping ToolsHow this works
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 10 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 2 blocks ramen rice noodles
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, very thinly sliced (about ⅛ inch)
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup tamari
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal; for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish
- Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cabbage, onion, mushrooms, red pepper and a pinch of salt. Sauté about 5 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften. Stir in ginger.
- Add vegetable stock, cover, and bring to a simmer. Simmer about 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add noodles, and cook for 1 minute. When noodles begin to unfold, separate with a fork and reduce heat to a low boil. Simmer 3–4 minutes, until soft. Strain, and rinse with cold water.
- Add noodles to soup, and stir in steak, carrots, tamari, lime juice and salt. Cook steak about 2 minutes, until no longer pink. Season to taste. Garnish with scallions and red pepper flakes.
How to poach an egg In a shallow saucepan over medium heat, bring a couple inches of water and 1 teaspoon white vinegar to a simmer. Crack an egg into a small dish. Carefully swirl water to create a vortex, and pour egg into center of pan. Cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and place in soup.
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 19g | Sodium: 2131mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post