Ramen is a Japanese dish of noodles and flavorful broth. This recipe features steak and shiitake mushrooms, though the variations are endless. Top with a poached egg for added flavor and sophistication.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 10 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 2 blocks ramen rice noodles
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, very thinly sliced (about ⅛ inch)
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup tamari
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal; for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish
Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cabbage, onion, mushrooms, red pepper and a pinch of salt. Sauté about 5 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften. Stir in ginger.
Add vegetable stock, cover, and bring to a simmer. Simmer about 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add noodles, and cook for 1 minute. When noodles begin to unfold, separate with a fork and reduce heat to a low boil. Simmer 3–4 minutes, until soft. Strain, and rinse with cold water.
Add noodles to soup, and stir in steak, carrots, tamari, lime juice and salt. Cook steak about 2 minutes, until no longer pink. Season to taste. Garnish with scallions and red pepper flakes.
How to poach an egg
In a shallow saucepan over medium heat, bring a couple inches of water and 1 teaspoon white vinegar to a simmer. Crack an egg into a small dish. Carefully swirl water to create a vortex, and pour egg into center of pan. Cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and place in soup.
PER SERVING: 406 CAL; 23G PROTEIN; 19G FAT; 37G CARB (10G SUGARS); 2,131MG SODIUM; 3G FIBER