Photo Credit: Erin Scott
Pecan Pie Bars
The classic pecan pie with a gooey center and half the sugar or a typical pecan pie bar recipe.
Share this Post
Shopping ToolsHow this works
Servings: 20 bars
For the Crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8 × 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving about 2 inches of overhang on each side.
- Make the crust: Place the flour in a medium bowl.
- Place the butter, brown sugar, salt, and 3 tablespoons water in a small microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave, stirring at 30-second intervals, until melted and hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir, then immediately pour the butter mixture into the flour. Stir until a dough forms and the edges pull away from the bowl. Let the dough cool briefly.
- When the dough is just cool enough to handle, use your fingers to spread it in an even layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust until lightly golden brown on the edges, 20 to 22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until golden brown with a nutty aroma, about 5 minutes, watching closely to prevent burning. Let cool briefly.
- Whisk together the corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat in the eggs, then stir in the pecans.
- When the crust comes out of the oven, spread the filling evenly on top and return to the oven. Bake until the filling is set and browned and the crust is firm all the way through, 30 minutes more. Let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes. Cut into 20 bars. The bars are best served fully cooled.
Excerpted from Half the Sugar, All the Love by Jennifer Tyler Lee and Anisha Patel, MD, MSPH. Photographs by Erin Scott. Workman Publishing ©2019.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 100mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post