- 4 cups water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Topping 1: Combine 3 tablespoons dried cranberries, 2 tablespoons walnuts, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and a drizzle of honey.
- Topping 2: Combine ¼ cup hot chicken broth, 4 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese and 6 chopped basil leaves.
- Topping 3: Combine ½ cup blueberries, 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese and 1 tablespoon lemon curd.
- Bring water to boil in a large, heavy saucepan. Add oats and salt. Stir constantly for 1 minute. If oats foam and boil over, remove from heat for a few seconds, and then continue cooking and stirring.
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit overnight.
- By morning, the oats will have absorbed all the water. Add one of the below topping combos.