Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 2 tsp grapeseed or sunflower oil
- 3/4 lb chicken or turkey sausage casing removed and crumbled
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 lb whole grain rotini or penne pasta
- 3 cups no-salt-added chicken or vegetable broth
- 14 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp no-salt-added tomato paste
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 ounce container baby kale or baby greens mix
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
- In large pot over medium, heat oil. Add sausage and heat until browned, about 4 minutes. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Add onion to pan and heat until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potato and garlic; heat until potato is tender, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- Add pasta, broth, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon zest, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until pasta is al dente and liquid has almost evaporated. Be sure to scrape up any brown bits from bottom of pan.
- In batches, stir in kale until wilted. Stir in sausage and heat through. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan and walnuts if desired.
Go nuts! You don’t need to crank up the oven to make a small batch of toasty nuts. Instead, nuke them. Spread nuts in a single layer on microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high power for 1 minute, stir, and continue heating in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until nuts are fragrant and a few shades darker.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 14g | Sodium: 860mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post