Maple-Roasted Tempeh with Hemp-Seed Pesto Street Tacos
Tempeh, a protein-rich, soy-based product originating in Indonesia, is like a healthier tofu. With a hearty and nutty flavor, the tempeh in this recipe is marinated and roasted. Served in a mini tortilla with a zesty hemp-seed pesto, it’s a wonderful starter course. Serve in larger tortillas, and you have a power lunch on the go.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 8 ounces original Lightlife tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons safflower, sunflower or olive oil, or water
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke optional
- 1 cup fresh basil, firmly packed (about 2oz)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 6 mini tortillas
- 1/4 cup baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons shredded purple cabbage
- 2 tablespoons diced fennel bulb
- 2 tablespoons grated and shredded carrots
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375°. Place all tempeh ingredients on a small baking sheet; toss well until tempeh is evenly coated. Allow to sit 5 minutes, up to 30 minutes. Toss again, and place in oven. Cook 20 minutes, stirring tempeh after 10 minutes.
- While tempeh is cooking, prepare pesto. Place all ingredients in a blender or small food processor; blend or process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Prep taco fillings. You can also optionally warm tortillas in oven or a dry sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- When tempeh is done, place arugula on tortillas. Add tempeh, top with a dollop of pesto, add cabbage, fennel and carrots, and enjoy!
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post