Gluten-Free Citrus Spaghetti Squash Macaroons
A yummy treat any time of year.
Share this Post
Shopping ToolsHow this works
- 1 spaghetti squash, unpeeled, cut into large chunks, washed and seeded
- 1 orange
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups of sugar
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 large pinch orange zest
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- A few drops lemon juice
- A few drops food coloring (optional)
- To make filling, place squash chunks into a large pot of boiling water; boil until the skin begins to peel away from the flesh. Drain squash, and cool in ice water until you can comfortably peel skin. Dispose of the skin and any lingering seeds. Use your fingers or a fork to shred the flesh into thin, spaghetti-like strands. Rinse and drain the strands.
- Slice 1 orange into rounds and remove seeds. Zest the other orange using a grater. Boil the sugar and water until they become a syrup consistency; reduce heat to medium. Add orange slices; cook in the sugar mixture for 8–10 minutes. Remove only the orange slices from the mixture, and add the zest and squash to the pot. Cook until the mixture is thick and contains little liquid, about 10-15 minutes. Drain, and cool over an ice bath until room temperature.
- To make macaroons, preheat oven to 375°F. Sift almond flour with confectioners’ sugar into a small bowl; mix in large pinch of orange zest.
- Using a blender or food processor, grind granulated sugar until it is a finer grain but not quite a powder.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric hand- or stand-mixer, whip egg whites until foamy; add lemon juice and granulated sugar (after processing). Whip to a stiff peak. Immediately sift flour-and-sugar mixture over the egg mixture; carefully fold together, without completely deflating the mixture.
- Scrape batter into a piping bag with round tip sized for desired macaroon size. Pipe out identical rounds of batter onto a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat; let sit until a light skin is formed.
- Lower oven to 325˚F and immediately place into the oven for 10 minutes, rotating halfway between.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Using a spoon or clean hands, fill half of the macaroon shells with spaghetti squash mixture. Sandwich two similarly sized macaroons with about half a tablespoon of filling. Try to match similar-sized shells. Serve immediately, or wrap well and freeze for up to 4 months.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post