Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 4 people
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 - 16 oz container extra firm tofu, pressed and sliced into bite-sized cubes
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup (or yourpreferred sweetener)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 11/2 Tbsp soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp potato starch
- 1 Tbsp gochugaru
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Mix together potato starch, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. In large bowl, combine potato starch mixture with tofu. Make sure that all tofu is evenly coated.
- Add enough vegetable oil to generously coat the surface of your largest non stick skillet. When oil begins to shimmer, add one layer of coated tofu, making sure pieces do not touch one another (they will stick). You may have to work in batches. Cook tofu on one side until brown, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip tofu and cook until bottoms brown, about 3 minutes. As each batch finishes, place tofu on a wire rack to drain any excess oil. For extra crispiness, fry all tofu a second time for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Make sauce: In a small bowl, stir together brown rice syrup, water, soy sauce, vinegar, potato starch, gochugaru, and black pepper.
- Ina large wok or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot,add red onion, garlic, carrot, and dried chilies. Sauté until onion begins tosoften, about 3 minutes. Add soy sauce mixture to sautéed vegetables and stir until sauce begins to thicken, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, add fried tofu to sauce, and gently stir so each piece is coated with sauce. Garnish with scallions. Do not continue to cook as the heat will cause the tofu to get soggy.
There is cultural significance in using soy sauce in traditional Korean recipes; however, substituting with coconut aminos will help to lower your sodium intake.
Calories: 712kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 44g | Sodium: 1885mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 16g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post