Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 or 3 medium carrots(about 1/2pound), peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Break ground beef into small pieces into largebowl and set aside.
- Cut onion in half. Dice half of the onion and transfer to small bowl. Cut remaining half of the onion into 2 wedges. Dice 1onion wedge and add it to diced onions. Grate remaining onion wedge using large holes of a box grater, and add it to the ground beef. Sprinkle 1 tsp of salt and garlic powder over ground beef and onions. Mix with your hands until fully combined and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add diced onions and remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. If bottom of the pot starts to turn dark, deglaze with little water.
- Add turmeric and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until paste turns dark red, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and tomatoes, and break up tomatoes a bit with wooden spoon. Bring liquid to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, roll beef mixture into small meatballs, using about 1 to 2 tsp of meat per ball. Gently place meatballs in to the broth, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.
- Add carrots and potatoes to broth and simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 20 to 30 minutes more. Check seasoning sand garnish with parsley.
Calories: 0.193kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.9g | Protein: 19.9g | Fat: 7.3g | Fiber: 2.5g | Sugar: 4.2g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post