James Beard Foundation Blended Burger Project
For the second year in a row, the James Beard Foundation is hosting a national challenge to create more delicious, nutritious and sustainable burgers by blending mushrooms and meat. It’s called the
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, ground
- 1 pound ground beef, pork, turkey or chicken
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Place a 12 inch frying pan over medium heat, add oil. Once the oil is warm, add the mushrooms and stir to coat.
- Add half of the salt to the mushrooms, and cook stirring occasionally until most of the moisture has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the ground meat and remaining salt. Stir well to break up the meat, and sauté until the meat is cooked through, about another 10 minutes.
- Add water as needed if mixture is dry. Use in recipes as you would use ground meat.