Some traditions shouldn’t be broken; others—such as grease-heavy fried chicken at summer picnics—could stand a makeover. This flavorful grilled chicken recipe pairs a zesty marinade with sweet and tart summer fruits for a healthy, refreshing twist on a warm-weather standby.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon wheat-free tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each), gently pounded to 1/3-inch thickness
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Additional sliced peaches and raspberries for garnish (optional)
- Mix oil, tamari, ginger, garlic and lemon juice in a large zip-top plastic bag or glass bowl.
- Add chicken, and seal bag or cover bowl tightly. Marinate 30 minutes to 8 hours, stirring periodically.
- Place raspberries, peach slices, juice and maple syrup in blender or food processor. Cover, and blend on high speed 1 minute or until smooth.
- Heat blended mixture to a simmer in 1-quart saucepan; then reduce heat and cover. Keep warm on lowest setting.
- Preheat grill to medium high. Grill chicken 7 minutes; then flip and grill another 4 to 5 minutes. Wait 5 minutes before slicing.
- Place 1 tablespoon of raspberry sauce on a serving plate. Place chicken on sauce. Drizzle with additional tablespoon of sauce. Garnish with additional peaches and raspberries if desired.