Photo Credit: Aaron Colussi
Greek Chicken Meatballs with Eggplant and Zucchini in Pita
Tired of burgers and hot dogs? Grilled Mediterranean meatballs (called keftethes in Greece and keftas in Morocco) with a cooling tzatziki sauce are perfect for the steamy dog days of summer.
Share this Post
- 1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 4 long slices
- ½ of small eggplant, cut lengthwise and then in ¼-inch slices
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Dried oregano
- 2-4 whole-grain pita bread rounds, cut in half
- Shredded lettuce
- 1-2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Tzatziki sauce (store-bought or recipe below)
- 1/3 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Hefty pinch of pepper
- Salt zucchini and eggplant; let sit 30 minutes on a rack with paper towels underneath.
- Meanwhile, place ground chicken or turkey in a medium-sized bowl. Add onions, breadcrumbs, egg, salt, pepper, parsley and mint, and knead with your hands, until well-combined. Chill 30 minutes.
- Pat excess water from eggplant and zucchini with a dry paper towel. Brush both sides generously with olive oil; sprinkle with dried oregano and pepper. Set on a platter.
- Shape meat mixture into 4–6 long, flat meatballs. Set on a platter.
- Heat grill to medium heat; oil well.
- Place meatballs on grill; cook 8–10 minutes, turning once.
- When meatballs are half done, place eggplant and zucchini on grill. Cook 2–3 minutes on each side.
- Place meat and vegetables on a platter with pita bread, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and a bowl of tzatziki. Let guests make their own sandwiches.
To make sauce, place diced cucumber in a colander; press out excess water with piece of paper towel. Place cucumbers in a bowl, add all ingredients, and stir well.
Calories: 367kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 1220mg | Fiber: 4g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post