Photo Credit: Jennifer Olson
Farro Tempeh Paella
A vegan twist on this traditional Spanish comfort food.
Share this Post
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 ounces tempeh
- 1 yellow onion 1/4 inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 carrot rondelle sliced
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup farro
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes pureed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs parsley roughly chopped, for garnish
- lemon wedges for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and tempeh pieces; brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan, set aside in a small bowl, and add dash of black pepper.
- In a medium-size paella pan or large skillet over medium heat, heat remaining oil. Add onion, garlic, carrot, saffron, paprika and farro. Sauté 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell peppers, mushrooms, salt, ground pepper, tomatoes and tempeh. Sauté another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in peas.
- Pour in stock, and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat to low, while stirring. Cover pan with foil, and allow to cook 30–35 minutes; then turn off heat. Leaving foil on pan, allow to steam with no heat for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove cover from paella. Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Johnson & Wales University (JWU). Alejandro Rodriguez, Eddie Nieto, Chef Adam Sacks, Daniel Iarum and Alex Hudson (l to r) developed these recipes. Known as a recognized leader in culinary education, JWU is changing the way the world eats. For info, visit jwu.edu/denver.
Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 490mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post