Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 box Barilla® Thin Spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 14-ounce can chopped Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts leaves
- 2/3 cup Romano cheese grated
- Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- In a skillet sauté onion with 2 tablespoons olive oil until translucent, about three minutes. Add garlic, cook an additional two minutes, stir in sausage, crumble and brown well.
- Deglaze with wine and reduce to half, add tomatoes, two cups of water, salt and red pepper, simmer for about half hour until water is evaporated and sauce is thick.
- In a separate skillet sauté Brussels sprouts leaves with remaining olive oil, salt and pepper until slightly browned and thoroughly cooked, about five minutes.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions, drain and toss with meat sauce, top with Brussels sprouts and cheese before serving.
Wine pairing: Primitivo is “full-bodied”, a good structure wine that can stand up well with this rich, assertive flavor pasta, or a Zinfandel for the same reasons.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post