Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 3/4 cup diced carrot
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Line a plate with paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it’s nicely golden brown and cooked all the way through. Remove the sausage from the pot and transfer it to the paper towel–lined plate to drain some of the fat.
- Discard all but about 1 Tbsp of the fat from the pot. It’s okay if bits of the sausage are still in the bottom of the pot—they will give the soup so much flavor! Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, just until the vegetables are starting to soften. Add the zucchini, minced garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the stock, diced tomatoes, green beans, corn, and reserved Italian sausage. Bring the soup to a low simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the macaroni and cook for 10 minutes more, or until the macaroni is cooked through. Stir in the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with lots of freshly grated Parmesan.
Variation: Swap the Italian sausage for an equal amount of ground beef, ground turkey, or chicken sausage for a lighter soup. Reprinted from Après All Day: 65+ Cozy Recipes to Share with Family and Friends by Kelley Epstein with permission from Chronicle Books, 2021. Photographs © Ren Fuller.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post