Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil, such as grapeseed, plus more for brushing the grill
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken (preferably 1 lb white meat plus 1/2 lb dark meat)
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions, white and green parts (from about 2 scallions)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 toasted rolls
- Lettuce, guacamole, sliced red onion, sliced tomato (you can substitute fresh pico de gallo)
- Preheat grill to medium and brush with oil. In the meantime, add oil, chicken, cheese, scallions, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to a medium bowl. Use your hands to combine well, being careful not to overmix, which can make the burgers tough.
- Lightly wet your hands before forming the mixture into four equal patties, each about ½-inch thick. Grill until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes per side. (You can also cook these in the broiler or in a large, oiled skillet set over medium heat for about the same time.) Allow burgers to rest for 5 minutes before serving on toasted rolls topped with lettuce, guacamole, red onion, and tomato. When tomatoes are out of season, or whenever you prefer, use pico de gallo instead.
Cook's Note: Unlike beef and other red meat, ground chicken can get very sticky. When forming patties, keep your hands slightly damp to help keep the chicken from sticking to them. Excerpted from Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner: 50 winning ways to cook it up © 2020 by Stacie Billis. photography by Dominic Perri. used with permission from Storey Publishing.
Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 23g | Sodium: 704mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post