Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 roasted jalapeno peppers, minced*
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 1 (2-ounce) tin of anchovies (optional)
- 6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for garnish
- Bake potatoes at 350° for 45 minutes, or until fork-tender. Let potatoes cool slightly, peel them, and then mash them in a medium-size bowl.
- Gather 2 cups of mashed potatoes, and form a well in the center. Stir salt and black pepper into beaten yolk, and pour into well.
- With both hands, work mashed potato and egg together; then gradually add flour until it turns into a dough. Do not overknead.
- Dust a large cutting board or clean counter with flour. Cut the dough into six equal parts, and roll into ½- to ¾-inch thick ropes. Slice ropes at ½- to ¾-inch intervals.
- Flour a fork and press gnocchi along tines with thumb; roll down to make ridges.
- Add gnocchi to boiling, salted water; cook until they float to the top, 1–3 minutes.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in medium saucepan. Add shallots, and sauté until translucent; add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add minced jalapeno, tomatoes and optional anchovies, and crush with a masher while in pan.
- Bring to a boil; then lower to simmer. Let simmer 15–20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in basil and gnocchi. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with parmesan if desired.
- *To roast jalapenos: If you have a gas stove, hold jalapeno with tongs over an open burner flame until its skin is blackened. Or roast in oven for 45 minutes at 350°. Once roasted, let peppers sit for 15 minute; then peel skin, de-seed and mince.
Tried this recipe?Mention @WPRecipeMaker or tag #wprecipemaker!
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #livenaturallymagazine