Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 3 1/2 to 4 pound whole chicken, quartered
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 ounces fresh ginger root, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed chopped kale leaves (about 1/2 small bunch)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Remove and discard skin from all but one of the chicken quarters. Place chicken in a large stock pot and add carrots, celery, onion, ginger, salt, pepper and 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, skimming foam from the top, until chicken is very tender.
- Transfer chicken pieces to a large dish. Strain broth and discard solids. return broth to the pot and add mushrooms, kale and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, remove meat from bones and cut into cubes. Add meat to soup and heat for 1 minute. Season to taste with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, and serve hot.
Tried this recipe?Mention @WPRecipeMaker or tag #wprecipemaker!
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #livenaturallymagazine