Shop IngredientsHow this works
Spicy Lime Dressing:
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons neutral vegetable oil (such as grapeseed)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce, as desired (I use 3 tablespoons of Red Boat brand, which is milder than others)
- 1-2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced, as desired (depending on how spicy you like it)
- Neutral vegetable oil (such as grapeseed), for frying (optional)
- 2 large shallots, very thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 batch cooked rice, preferably black (cooled)
- ¼ medium green cabbage, very finely sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 large carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- ½ cups coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup coarsely chopped roasted peanuts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Combine the garlic, oil, vinegar, lime juice, honey, and fish sauce in a mini food processor or small blender. Blend until smooth. Stir in the chiles
Build the bowls:
- If you’re frying the shallots (good for you!), heat ¼ inch of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Set a strainer over a bowl (this will be to drain the shallots later). Add a single shallot ring to the hot oil — if it starts bubbling immediately, you’re good to add the rest (if not, let the oil continue to heat). Cook, stirring constantly, until the shallots are golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the shallots in the strainer over the bowl and then transfer them to paper towels to drain further. Season with salt to taste.
- Combine the rice, cabbage, carrots, chicken, cilantro, mint, and peanuts in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with the fried shallots, if using, and serve with lime wedges.
Tried this recipe?Mention @WPRecipeMaker or tag #wprecipemaker!
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #livenaturallymagazine