Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1 cup mayonnaise divided
- 1 tablespoon shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon capers minced
- 1 tablespoon dill-pickle relish
- zest of one lemon, about 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch cayenne pepper (or a dash of Tabasco)
- 4 5-ounce firm whitefish fillets, such as cod or haddock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup panko-style breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or melted butter
- 4 soft rolls split and lightly toasted
- Lettuce, onion and dill-pickle slices
- For tartar sauce: In a small mixing bowl, combine ½ cup mayonnaise, minced shallot, capers, relish, lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and cayenne pepper or Tabasco; stir together. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, up to overnight, to allow flavors to marry.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Blot fish fillets dry, and season well with salt and pepper. Then spread them with remaining ½ cup mayonnaise, being sure to cover all parts of the fillets, including the sides.
- Mix breadcrumbs with oil or butter in a shallow dish. Coat fillets with breadcrumbs, gently pressing crumbs on to be sure they adhere. Carefully transfer breaded fillets to baking sheet lined with well-oiled aluminum foil.
- Place in middle rack of oven, and bake about 20 minutes, until fillets are firm to the touch, fully opaque and flake easily when pressed with a fork.
- To assemble sandwiches, stir tartar sauce, and spread some on top and bottom of split, toasted rolls. Place a piece of fish on bottom half of each roll, and layer on lettuce, onion and pickle chips. Place top of roll on fish.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post