Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder or pork butt, untrussed, thick outer fat removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons BBQ Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- White vinegar
- Fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups thinly sliced green or red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded or matchstick carrots
- 1 red apple, cored (skin on) and cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 10 large or 20 small slider buns, split, buttered, and warmed
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Rub the pork with the spice mix, covering all the surfaces well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Swirl to coat the pan. Add the pork and brown on all sides, a few minutes per side. Watch closely so the spice coating doesn’t burn.
- Transfer the pork to a slow cooker, then pour the BBQ sauce and chicken broth around the sides. Cover and cook until the meat is very tender and can be pulled apart with a fork, on high heat for 3 to 4 hours or on low heat for 6 to 8 hours.
- Finish the pork: Remove the pork from the cooker and transfer to a cutting board. Spoon the oil off the top of the sauce. Shred the pork with two forks, removing any big chunks of fat, then return the meat to the sauce and stir together gently, adding white vinegar and salt to taste. Keep warm.
- Make the slaw: Whisk together the buttermilk, olive oil, cider vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, carrots, apple, green onions, and cilantro, if using, and toss together. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the sliders: Scoop some of the pork into each bun and either top with some of the slaw or serve the slaw on the side. Serve immediately with the hot sauce, if using.
Variation: To make the pork in the oven, preheat the oven to 300°F. Sear the spice-rubbed pork in a Dutch oven as directed in Step 2, then remove the pork to a plate and drain off the oil. Return the pork to the pot and pour the BBQ sauce and chicken broth around the sides. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cover and place in the oven. Roast until the meat is very tender and can be pulled apart with a fork, flipping once after 1A hours, 3 to 4 hours total. Proceed with the recipe from Step 4. Quick Tip If you don’t have time to make the BBQ Sauce in advance, use the Quick Tip on page 185 and reduce the chicken broth in this recipe to ½ cup. What Kids Can Do Little chefs can whisk the dressing for the slaw. Make Ahead You can make the slaw up to 3 hours ahead. It will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. “Excerpted from Half the Sugar, All the Love by Jennifer Tyler Lee and Anisha Patel, MD, MSPH. Photographs by Erin Scott. Workman Publishing ©2019.”
Calories: 417kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 24g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 734mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post