Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 4 pitas
- 1 1/2 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 13 ounces ready-marinated tofu cubes
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- a handful of crisp lettuce, such as cos or romaine, roughly chopped
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 large pitta or flatbreads, warmed
- Put the onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and leave it to soak for 10 minutes before draining. This removes some of the astringency from the raw onion.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then add the marinated tofu and about half the hoisin sauce. Toss it around the pan so it all gets coated and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Remove and put to one side.
- Fill each of the warmed breads with a little remaining hoisin sauce, then stuff with lettuce, tomatoes, onion and tofu and enjoy.
Look Out! Check the label on the pitta or flatbread packet – just to make sure there is no added dairy milk.
Excerpted from Vegan Kids © 2021 by Heather Whinney. Published by Lorenz Books.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post