Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 salapeño, seeds removed for a mild sauce, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeños
Sheet-Pan Chicken Fajitas:
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder, or regular chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cut into thin strips against the grain
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 3 bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 lime
- Chopped cilantro, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make the jalapeño sauce, add the sour cream, jalapeño, cilantro leaves, lime juice, garlic and salt to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more lime or salt if necessary. Stir in the chopped pickled jalapeños.
- Cover the sauce and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the fajitas, in a small mixing bowl, combine the chipotle chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, adobo seasoning, smoked paprika, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken strips with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the avocado oil and almost all of the seasoning blend. Mix well to coat the chicken strips.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine the bell peppers and onion with the other tablespoon (15 ml) of avocado oil and the remaining seasoning blend. Mix well.
- Place the chicken, bell peppers and onion on the prepared sheet pan. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and place them in the oven to warm for the last 5 minutes of cook time.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and squeeze the lime over the chicken, bell peppers and onion. Top with the chopped cilantro. Serve with the jalapeño sauce and warmed tortillas.
Excerpted from The Tex-Mex Table © 2022 by Mandi Hickman. Photography by Mandi Hickman. Published by Page Street Publishing.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post