Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 3 to 4 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped (around 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 7 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter, plus more for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C, or gas mark 4).
- Add the potatoes to a large saucepan and cover them with water. Bring to a low boil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a separate saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, turmeric and paprika. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened and fragrant. Add the carrot, bell pepper and mushrooms. Sauté for 3 minutes, allowing the vegetables to soften. Add the red lentils and pour in the vegetable stock. Cover and simmer for around 15 minutes, allowing the lentils to soften and most of the vegetable stock to absorb.
- Season the filling with salt and stir in the flour to thicken it. Drain and rinse the potatoes once they are cooked, transferring them to a large mixing bowl. Mash with a potato masher, stirring in the plant- based milk and vegan butter.
- Lightly grease an ovenproof dish with vegan butter. Transfer the filling to the dish followed by a layer of the mashed potatoes. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown and crispy on top.
Excerpted from Earth Vegan Eats: 60 Delicious Gluten-Free Plant-Based Recipes by Maria Gureeva.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post