Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 12 cupcakes
Red Velvet Cake:
- 23.6 ounce jar of morello sour cherries
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Simple Truth Organic cane sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Simple Truth Natural red food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Cream Cheese Frosting (optional):
- 2/3 cup block cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Simple Truth Organic butter
- 1 1/3 cups Simple Truth Organic powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
Red Velvet Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (335°F).
- Drain the juice from the morello cherries and boil it down to 125 mL (4.2 fl oz) or ½ cup to concentrate the flavor. Set aside to cool.
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, gelatin, salt and baking powder into a bowl and whisk together.
- Make a well in the center, then add the oil, egg yolks, concentrated morello cherry juice, and red coloring, but do not stir.
- In a different bowl, whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Using the same beaters, mix the egg yolk and flour mixture on low speed until just combined.
- Fold the egg whites into the cake batter in three batches
- Fill each cup in a cupcake pan to ¾ full. (Using an ice cream scoop makes this job easy.) Bake for 11 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched. Cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Leave the cream cheese and butter out of the fridge to soften for at least an hour. Place them both into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth and pale. Add the icing sugar and lemon juice and beat to combine. Gently fold in the mascarpone.
- Take one cupcake and break it into small crumbs. Pipe frosting onto the remaining cupcakes using a star tip, then sprinkle with red velvet crumbs.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post