Photo Credit: Annette Slade
Deli Style Green Lentil & Shitake Pate
A perfect spread for crackers or filling for hearty sandwiches, this savory healthy vegan pate is fit for a deli tray, and even a favorite of carnivores.
Share this Post
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped shitake mushroom caps
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped scallion or spring onion (white parts only)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dry red chili flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Simple Truth Organic Green Lentils, warm or at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vegan soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in a 12-inch frying pan. When oil begins rippling in pan, add chopped mushroom caps. Cook on medium-high heat until mushrooms lose most moisture and begin browning; you want that sear on the mushrooms.
- Lower heat as needed, and add chopped scallions; sauté until scallions are softened and lightly browned in spots, 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle black pepper, cumin and chili flakes over the vegetables, and crumble Herbs de Provence over all; stir through, cooking an additional minute. Remove from heat.
- Season lentils with vegan soy sauce and lemon juice, and combine with vegetable mixture. Puree entire mixture in a food processor or heavy-duty blender in batches, until mixture is a slightly coarse puree. Stir well.
- Refrigerate in covered container at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
- Stir again before serving. Mound mixture in an attractive serving bowl and garnish as desired. Serve with vegan crackers or crudités as an appetizer or in a hearty sandwich with vegan mayonnaise and vine-ripened tomatoes or homemade pickles.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post