One of my favorite combinations is shrimp with peas, infused with crispy ginger and garlic and spiced with a light dusting of curry powder. Have this colorful dish as is, served as an appetizer, or make it more substantial served over rice, Japanese buckwheat noodles or angel hair pasta.
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 ounce ginger, peeled and paper-thinly sliced
- 5 large garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 1 pound small uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- In a large skillet over high heat, add the oil and stir-fry the ginger and garlic until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate, leaving the oil behind.
- Add the shrimp, curry and lemon juice, and stir-fry until cooked through and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peas, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes more.
- Serve, garnished with stir-fried ginger and garlic and fresh lemon zest.
PER SERVING: 125 cal; 6g fat; 5g carb; 485mg sodium; 190mg potassium
©2017 by Corinne Trang. Reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association. Switch It Up is available at ShopDiabetes.org, in bookstores nationwide, or by calling 1-800-232-6733. Food Photography: Corinne Trang