An easy comforting lunch for a fall or winter day.
- 4 slices thick white sandwich bread Texas Toast
- 2 tablespoons melted Kerrygold® Salted Butter
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices thinly sliced organic deli ham
- 6 slices Kerrygold® Savory Sliced Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup bechamel sauce recipe follows
- 2 eggs
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- For the bechamel sauce
- 2 tablespoons Kerrygold® Salted Butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush melted butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place buttered side down on a jelly roll pan and divide the mustard on 2 slices of bread.
- Place one slice of cheese over Dijon mustard and top with 4 slices of ham, add another slice of cheese and top with other slice of buttered bread with the buttered side facing up. Bake in preheated oven for 10- 15 minutes or until bottom slice of bread is toasted.
- Flip the sandwich and top each sandwich with ¼ cup bechamel sauce and another slice of cheese. Bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- While the cheese is melting, fry two eggs to desired doneness. Remove sandwich from oven and top with fried egg. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the flour over the butter and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and whisk until mixture is smooth and sauce thickens (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in mustard and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper.