Cinnamon Plums & Yogurt Pancakes
Pancakes work brilliantly on the grill, although you do need to cook them on a flat surface. A chapa is perfect but you can also use a heavy-based frying pan if you don’t have one.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- A chapa or plancha or a heavy-based frying pan (skillet)
- 2 1/2 cups (330g) self raising (self rising) flour
- 1 1/4 cups (300g) Greek yogurt, plus extra to serve
- 2/3 cup (150ml) milk (a little less than 2/3 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve
- 14 ounces (400g) ripe plums, halved, stones (pits) removed
- Vegetable oil, for cooking the pancakes
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Fire up the barbecue ready for direct and indirect cooking. Once the grill is hot, give the bars a good scrub using a wire brush. Rest the chapa or plancha or heavy-duty frying pan (skillet) onto the grill bars directly over the fire. You need a really hot surface to cook pancakes so be patient!
- While the grill is heating, make the pancake batter. Tip the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the yogurt, milk, eggs, vanilla and 2 Tbsp of the sugar and whisk to a thick smooth batter. Set aside.
- On a small plate, mix the remaining 2 Tbsp of sugar and the cinnamon. One by one, dip the plums cut-side down in the cinnamon sugar. Rest the plums cut-side up onto the grill bars away from the fire for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Once soft, turn the plums so they are sugar-side down and cook for a further 1 minute. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- When the chapa or plancha is hot, drizzle a little oil on a piece of scrunched-up paper towel and wipe across the surface. Drop dessert spoonfuls of batter onto the hot chapa, well spaced – they will spread as they cook.
- Shut the lid and cook for 2–3 minutes. The pancakes are ready to turn when you see tiny bubbles appear on their surface. Use a metal spatula to flip them over and cook the other side. As they’re cooked, remove them from the grill and repeat until you have used all the batter.
- To serve, put a few pancakes on each plate and top with the grilled plums. Add a dollop of yogurt, a generous drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon before serving.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post