Purple kale is a variety of Brassica oleracea that is not only grown for culinary use, but also for its ornamental value. It is cultivated from a dwarf variety of Scotch kale and looks like a giant ruffled flower.
- 1 large bunch purple kale, washed and chopped
- 2 half-pints blackberries; washed, divided
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/3 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup raw pecan halves
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces Manchego cheese, shaved
- Toss kale, half the berries, green onions, cucumber, chicken and pecans in a serving bowl.
- Place oil, vinegar, remaining berries, syrup, salt and pepper in a small blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Serve on top of salad with shaved cheese.
PER SERVING: 624 CAL; 31G PROTEIN; 45G FAT; 31G CARB (10G SUGARS); 1200MG SODIUM; 10G FIBER