Photo Credit: Eric Medsker
These skewers make a tasty dinner, but they’d also be a great appetizer or snack.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- Air Fyer
2-quart or larger air fryer
- 10 ounces Boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Fresh oregano leaves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fresh thyme leaves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Mild paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
3.5-quart or larger air fryer
- 1 pound Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons Olive oil
- 4 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Fresh oregano leaves finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Fresh thyme leave finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon Mild paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon Table salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
5.25-quart or larger air fryer
- 1 1/2 pounds Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Fresh oregano leaves finely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Fresh thyme leaves finely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Mild paprika
- 1 teaspoon Table salt
- 1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup plain full-fat or low-fat yogurt (not fat-free)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Stir the chicken cubes, oil, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, garlic, paprika, salt, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours, stirring the chicken in the marinade at least once.
- Remove the bowl from the fridge and let it sit on the counter while the air fryer heats. With the basket (or basket attachment) in the air fryer, heat it to 400°F (or 390°F, if that’s the closest setting).
- When the machine is at temperature, divide the chicken pieces evenly between 2, 3, or 4 bamboo or wooden skewers, packing the chicken pieces together on each skewer. Set the skewers in the basket in one layer and air-fry undisturbed for 16 minutes, or until well browned, almost charred, and sizzling.
- Use kitchen tongs to transfer the skewers to a wire rack. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve the skewers over sliced tomatoes with minced fresh cilantro and mint leaves sprinkled on top. You’ll need pita bread on the side, too!
- Or set them over cooked long-grain white or brown rice. Or perhaps a whole grain like cooked and drained wheat berries or spelt berries.
- Or skip the mint in the garnish and make TAHINI SAUCE for the skewers.
To Make Tahini Sauce (3/4 cups):
- Combine all tahini ingredients in a bowl, whisking in water in 1-tablespoon increments until it’s the consistency of ranch dressing. For more flavor, whisk in up to 1/8 teaspoon garlic and/or onion powder. Save any extra sauce in a covered glass or nonreactive container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Excerpted from THE ESSENTIAL AIR FRYER COOKBOOK Copyright © 2019 by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough. Used with permission of Little, Brown and Company, New York. All rights reserved Photographs by Eric Medsker
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post