Photo Credit: Teri Lynn Fisher
Chicken Sausage, Spelt and Pepper Skillet
This is the ultimate, colorful one-pot meal that makes everyone flock to the kitchen when it’s cooking.
Share this Post
- 2 tablespoons raw coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 pounds raw chicken sausage, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks, casings removed
- 1 cup uncooked spelt
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced stemmed cremini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with their juices
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 packs Lightlife Smart Dogs, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a heavy cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and chili powder, and cook until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add chicken sausage or Lightlife Smart Dogs and cook 6 to 8 minutes, until browned.
- Add spelt* or brown rice and chicken or vegetable broth. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes with their juices, and oregano. Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 1 hour, or until vegetables and spelt are tender and liquid is absorbed. Spoon skillet mixture into a bowl and taste the goodness.
- *Soak spelt overnight to reduce the lectins and allow for a faster cook time.
Excerpted from Eat Like You Give a Fork: The Real Dish on Eating to Thrive. Copyright © 2019 by Mareya Ibrahim and reprinted with permission from St. Martin’s Griffin.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post