Photo Credit: Aaron Colussi
With one skillet, you can whip up this popular Indian dish.
- 4 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 2 teaspoons powdered turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon powdered cardamom
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1½ cups white basmati rice
- 3½ cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, optional
- Slivered almonds for garnish
- Mango chutney, prepared (jar in international aisle)
- Heat butter or oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add chicken and sauté until brown. Remove from pan. Add onions and sauté 10–15 minutes, until soft. Add curry paste, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon stick and cardamom powder. Sauté 5 minutes, until spices are fragrant.
- Add chicken, raisins, rice and broth. Stir well; raise heat until broth is boiling. Cover, and lower heat to low. Cook 5–8 minutes. Remove from heat; let sit 10 minutes for rice to absorb the liquid.
- Garnish with cilantro and almonds, and serve with mango chutney.