This classic Peruvian, layered potato and chicken dish adds sky-blue creativity to your menu.
Share this Post
- 2 pounds purple potatoes
- Fine sea salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion, whole
- 1 carrot, whole
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup jalapenos, finely chopped
- ½ cup celery, minced
- ½ cup red onion, minced
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups semi-ripe avocados, thinly sliced
- 6 kalamata olives, pitted
Creamy Avocado Dressing:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mash avocado with yogurt until it has a smooth consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold, salted water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until very tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Peel potatoes and pass through a food mill or ricer (or simply mash very finely) into a large bowl. Knead lightly with gloved hands (to avoid getting blue color on skin), slowly drizzling in olive oil, as needed, until potatoes reach a doughlike consistency. Add lime juice, and season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until cold and firm, about 2 hours.
- Put chicken, onion, carrot and mint into a large saucepan, adding just enough water to cover; bring to a slow boil. Cook until chicken is fork-tender and can be pulled apart, about 20 minutes.
- Toss or compost whole onion, carrot and mint. Transfer chicken to a medium bowl. Once cool enough to handle, shred chicken with fingers or a fork. Mix in yogurt, jalapenos, celery and red onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- Oil a 2-quart casserole. Spoon half of the potato mixture into the casserole, followed by the chicken mixture, and then the remaining potato mixture. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- Put a dollop of avocado dressing on each plate. Slice and serve on dressing; garnish with avocados and olives.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post