Cauliflower puree is a great alternative for crust.
- 2 cups prepared cauliflower purèe or mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, divided
- Assorted additional spices such as basil, rosemary, chives to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. Mix the cauliflower or mashed potatoes, cheese and 1 egg together in a bowl. If the mash wasn’t already seasoned, add spices to enhance flavor. Form dough into a ball. (If making a double crust, separate the dough into two equal portions, and reserve one-half.)
- FOR A PIZZA CRUST, flatten the dough into a disk of desired thickness on a pizza stone. Bake the crust for 5 minutes or until lightly golden. Top with sauce, toppings and cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- FOR A BOTTOM PIE CRUST, press the mash evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of a glass pie dish. Bake the crust for 10 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove crust from the oven and allow to cool.
- Spoon filling over pie crust.
- FOR A DOUBLE CRUST, flatten the reserved dough into a disk on a piece of wax paper, and then gently lay the dough on top of the pie filling and over the edges of the pie dish. Beat remaining egg and brush it over the dough; bake for another 15 or 20 minutes until the top crust is golden brown.
Nutrition information will vary depending on original mash recipe.