Photo Credit: David Loftus
Brussels Sprout Nasi GorengPRINT
Share this Post
Shopping ToolsHow this works
- 1 3/4 cups jasmine rice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 bird's-eye chilies, very finely chopped
- 1 3/4 pounds brussels sprouts, very finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra to taste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Place rice in a sieve and rinse under a cold tap until water runs clear. Tip rice into a pan, add 2½ cups boiled water, and bring to a boil. Place lid on, then turn heat down to a whisper and cook 15 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to steam with lid on.
- To cook the nasi goreng base, heat canola oil in a large frying pan on medium and fry the onion, stirring, 5 minutes. Add garlic and two-thirds of the chopped chiles, cook 2 minutes more, then add all but two large handfuls of brussels sprouts. Fry 8 minutes, leaving them undisturbed for a couple of minutes at a time, so they get s ome color. Then stir in tomato paste, kecap manis, salt, and a tablespoon each of soy sauce and vinegar. Cook another 5 minutes, then take off the heat.
- To make marinated brussels sprouts, put remaining raw sliced brussels sprouts into a bowl with 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, and remaining chopped chiles. Mix well and set aside.
- To finish the nasi goreng, put the Brussels sprouts and onion pan on medium heat and gently scoop in the steamed rice, folding in until well-mixed. Heat through, stirring gently, 5 minutes, until rice is nice and hot, and season with salt to taste. Transfer to a big platter, scatter the marinated brussels sprouts over the top, and serve.
Excerpted from East: 120 Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes from Bangalore to Beijing © 2019 by Meera Sodha. Published by Flatiron Books.
Calories: 359kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 16g | Sodium: 909mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 11g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post