Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 40 cookies
- 108 grams (3/4 cup) potato starch
- 90 grams (1 cup) gluten-free oat flour or cassava flour
- 90 grams (3/4 cup) sorghum flour
- 45 grams (½ cup) almond meal, pecan meal, sunflower meal or hazelnut meal
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ½ teaspoon powder or instant coffee (optional)
- ½ cup unsalted butter or melted clarified butter (measure melted)
- 113 grams (4 ounces) semisweet chocolate
- 56 grams (2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate
- 285 grams (1½ cups) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup toasted coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a baking sheet with gluten-free nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together potato starch, oat flour, sorghum flour, almond meal, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt and, if using, espresso powder.
- Place butter and chocolates together in a heavy, medium-size saucepan over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove saucepan from heat, whisk in sugar and vanilla. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or in a large bowl and using a hand mixer, pour in the chocolate/butter/sugar mixture. On low speed, add eggs, one at a time, and continue to mix until mixture is smooth and glossy. Add dry ingredients and mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated, and dough has formed into a tight ball. Fold in nuts (if using) with a rubber spatula.
- With a 1-ounce cookie scoop or a tablespoon measure, portion out batter (1¼-inch round balls). Arrange balls on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10–12 minutes, until cookies are domed and crackled on the top. Let sit on baking tray 10 minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week or frozen in a resealable plastic bag.
If you have a nut allergy, replace almond meal with 45 grams (½ cup) gluten-free oat or cassava flour.
Calories: 99kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 132mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post