Photo Credit: Laura Theodore
Black Bean Burgers
Hearty black beans, walnuts and rolled oats combined with some snazzy spices, create a vegan burger that stands front and center for a satisfying family meal.
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
Servings: 7 burgers
- 1 can (14 to 16 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce or marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 rounded teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 cup gluten-free, quick cooking rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, to coat pan and measuring cup
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Lightly coat the parchment paper with 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Put the beans, tomato or marinara sauce, ketchup, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder into a medium-sized bowl and coarsely mash using a potato masher or large fork.
- Put the walnuts into a blender or food processor and process into coarse crumbs. Add the ground walnuts and oats to the bean mixture and stir with a large spoon until thoroughly combined.
- To form a burger, scoop up 1/3 cup of the mixture using a lightly oiled measuring cup. Firmly pack the burger mixture into the measuring cup and drop it onto the prepared pan. Gently press the burger using a flat spatula or clean hands to form it into the shape of a burger. Continue in this manner until you have a total of 7 burgers.
- Bake the burgers for 14 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and flip the burgers over. Bake for an additional 10 to 20 minutes (checking often) or until the burgers are golden brown on the bottom and around the edges. Do not overcook or the burgers will be too dry. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the burgers cool 5 minutes. Serve over a leafy green salad, on burger buns, or an English muffin.
Excerpted from Easy Vegan Home Cooking © 2021 by Laura Theodore. Published by Hatherleigh Press, release date: October 26, 2021. Distributed by Penguin Random House. Reprinted by permission.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post