Beet Barley Risotto
Using pearl barley creates a nutritious, creamy sauce for this risotto. Adding beets gives a beautiful color and a great taste.
- 2 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (see page 36)
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil (see page 35)
- 1 pound beets with greens attached, beets peeled and grated, greens stemmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1½ cups pearl barley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Bring broth and water to simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to lowest setting and cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add half of grated beets, onion, and ¾ teaspoon salt and cook until vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in barley and cook, stirring often, until aromatic, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in wine and cook until fully absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 3 cups warm broth. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and bottom of pan is dry, 22 to 25 minutes. Stir in 2 cups warm broth and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and bottom of pan is dry, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Add beet greens and continue to cook, stirring often and adding remaining broth as needed to prevent pan bottom from becoming dry, until greens are softened and barley is cooked through but still somewhat firm in center, 5 to 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in remaining grated beets and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with parsley. Serve.