Barley-Nut Roast with Cranberry Sauce
With a combination of sweet and savory, this mouthwatering barley-nut roast hits all the right spots.
Share this Post
Shopping ToolsHow this works
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups roughly chopped chestnut
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cups unsalted pistachios, plus more as needed
- 1 cup pecans, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons quick oats
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, until golden brown. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary and cook 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add barley.
- Cook the mixture, stirring, 1 minute, and then add broth, 1 cup at a time, until each addition has been completely absorbed (this process will take about 15 minutes). Stir mixture continuously, as this will make it creamy. Once all liquid is absorbed, transfer mixture to a large bowl and allow it to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or grease with oil.
- Combine pistachios, pecans and oats in a food processor and pulse 1 to 3 times, until crumbly but still coarse. Add nut mixture to barley mixture. Add lemon zest, tapioca flour, salt and pepper; adjust seasonings to your liking. Combine everything until mixture is creamy.
- Transfer barley-nut mixture to prepared loaf pan. Use a spoon to press loaf down evenly; then wrap pan in aluminum foil and bake 60 minutes. Once golden brown on top, remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before removing from the loaf pan and placing on a serving platter.
- While roast cools, prepare cranberry sauce. Dissolve tapioca flour in 1 tsp of water to create a slurry. Set aside. Place cranberries, maple syrup, lemon juice and remaining water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and cook 5 minutes, until cranberries are soft. Add tapioca slurry, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened slightly. Spoon cranberry sauce onto the roast and serve.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post