Photo Credit: Barilla®
Octopus Salad with Citrus Fruits and Fennel
An original combination with strong, captivating flavors.
Share this Post
- 1 pound octopus
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 orange
- 1 fennel
- 1 grapefruit
- 4 tablespoons black olives pitted
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil Riviera Ligure DOP
- salt and pepper to taste
- wild fennel fronds to taste
- Peel the carrot and onion, wash the celery, and roughly chop the onions. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add the vegetables.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then add the octopus. Dip the octopus in the water three times before submerging it completely. This makes for more tender meat.
- Cook for an hour or until it can be cut with a knife. As soon as it’s done, remove the pot from the heat. Cover and let it rest for an hour.
- While the octopus is cooking, or resting, prepare the other ingredients for the salad. Wash and trim the fennel. Slice it very thinly and place it in a bowl of cold water so that it doesn’t discolor. Peel the orange and grapefruit, removing the peel and the thin white membrane that covers the fruit. Cut individual slices of orange, using a knife to separate each slice from white skin that connects one to the next. Repeat with the grapefruit.
- Squeeze the juice from the remaining citrus and place it in a bowl. Adjust salt and pepper. Add 5 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and whisk together to make the salad dressing.
- Once the octopus has cooled, drain and cut into pieces. Then prepare a salad, placing the octopus on a plate with drained, sliced fennel, citrus segments, black olives and sliced octopus.
- Toss everything with the salad dressing. Add a grinding of black pepper, if you want, and a small bunch of fennel fronds.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and serve.
Chef’s tips To give a personal touch to the recipe, slice the octopus tentacles lengthwise and grill for a couple of minutes, giving them color.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post