- 2 russet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 apple, diced in ¼-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Water, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium pot, boil potatoes with skins until fork-tender. Strain excess water; peel skins. Mash the potatoes and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together salt, flours, baking powder, baking soda and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potato, sugars, sour cream and egg.
- Add dry ingredients to potato mixture, and beat until just incorporated. Dough will be sticky. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Dust counter with all-purpose flour; roll out dough to ½-inch thickness.
- Using a 3-inch circular cookie cutter, punch holes from dough and line them up on parchment-lined baking sheet. Take a 1-inch circular cookie cutter and punch holes in the center of the dough.
- Bake 12–13 minutes, until donuts start to turn golden brown.
- Remove from pan, and cool on a rack. Prepare topping.
- In a small sauté pan, melt butter and then add sugar, creating a paste.
- Add agave, stir, then add apple juice and diced apple. Simmer 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add water to flour a little at a time, creating a slurry, which prevents clumping.
- Slowly stir slurry into the hot liquid, cook until thickened.
- Top doughnuts with compote.