Photo Credit: Tieghan Gerard
Avocado Breakfast Tacos with Crispy Shallots and Chipotle Salsa
Egg, bacon and avocado breakfast tacos with homemade salsa and warm flour tortillas.
Share this Post
Shopping ToolsHow this works
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped, for serving
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced, for serving
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh spinach or baby kale
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Chipotle Salsa (recipe follows) or store bought salsa, for serving
- 1 14-ounce can fireroasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until the fat renders and the bacon is crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon from the skillet and drain on a paper towel–lined plate. Lightly crumble the bacon with your hands.
- Place the shallots in the same skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 3 minutes. Remove the shallots from the skillet and drain on the paper towel–lined plate. The shallots will crisp up as they dry.
- Wipe out the skillet and melt the butter in it over medium heat. Add the beaten eggs and cook, undisturbed, until a thin white layer forms around the edge of the skillet. Using a rubber spatula, gently push the eggs around the skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 2 minutes. Immediately transfer the eggs to a plate and gently fold in the cheese.
- To assemble, on the warmed tortillas layer the greens, eggs, and avocado. Top with the bacon, shallots, and green onions. Serve with lime wedges and salsa alongside.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse together the tomatoes and chipotle peppers until mostly smooth, about 1 minute. Add the sesame seeds and season with salt. Pulse to combine, about 30 seconds. Taste and add more salt as needed. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Reprinted from Half Baked Harvest Super Simple. Copyright © 2019 by Tieghan Gerard. Photographs copyright © 2019 by Tieghan Gerard. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post