A simple preparation of kale makes for a nourishing accompaniment. Any kale variety can be used; try purple or lacinato.
- ½ pound ground turkey
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium Gala apple, medium dice (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Juice of ½ lemon, more to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, place turkey and pork. Sprinkle ¾ teaspoon of the salt and pepper over top; then add apple and ginger. With lightly oiled hands, mix only until incorporated.
- Form mixture into eight patties, about ¾-inch thick, and place on baking sheet. Bake 15–17 minutes, until firm to touch and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, remove stems from kale. Roughly chop into bite-sized pieces. Kale stems can be saved and added to a freezer bag of vegetable scraps, to later be used for vegetable broth.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add kale and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Sauté 4 minutes, until leaves are bright green and volume has reduced by about half. Season with lemon juice, adding more to taste.
- Serve sausage over a mound of greens.