Grilling adds a delightful, smoky contrast to the intensified sweetness of fruit. Pair it with your favorite meats, or top it with vanilla ice cream or sweetened ricotta for dessert. Don’t limit yourself by the season or the fruit—even bananas, berries and melon are delicious grilled, any time of the year. Here’s how:
- Brush fruit slices with a light coat of olive oil to prevent sticking and add a delicate flavor.
- Halve fruit such as figs, stone fruits and apples.
- Skewer berries or cubed fruit, like pineapple or cantaloupe.
- Keep the skins on delicate fruit, such as peaches and bananas (add a dusting of brown sugar after the oil) while grilling. Remove skin, if necessary, before serving.
- Grill over indirect heat, until char marks form—about 1–2 minutes per side.