Lemon-Arugula Basmati Rice
Peppery arugula and bright lemon zest lift rice to refreshing heights.
- 2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon red chilis fresh, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest fresh
- 1 tablespoon garlic fresh, minced well
- 2 cups basmati rice rinsed well to remove debris and loose starch
- 1/4 cup lentils, crimson or green
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ounce lemon juice fresh
Preheat oven to 375°. In a preheated, medium-sized, ovenproof pot, add oil, and then spices, lemon zest and garlic. Sauté until very aromatic.
Add rice, lentils and arugula, and stir until well-coated
Add stock and bay leaves; stir once or twice.
Cover pot with lid or foil, and place in oven for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked and moisture has been absorbed.
Serve with a drizzle of fresh lemon juice.
Calories: 153kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 245mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g