The salt crusts give roasted beets a delicious salty herb flavoring.
Horseradish Crème Fraîche:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 cups coarse kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- 3 large unpeeled beets (each about 8 ounces); trimmed, scrubbed
To make horseradish crème fraîche, whisk all ingredients in a small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Preheat oven to 375°. Mix coarse salt, horseradish, thyme and orange peel in a medium bowl. Place three 3-tablespoon mounds of salt mixture on a small rimmed baking sheet, spaced apart. Top each salt mound with 1 beet; then distribute remaining salt mixture over beets, pressing firmly and forming crust around each beet, covering completely.
Roast beets 1¾ hours. Remove from oven; crack salt crusts open and remove beets. The beets will have absorbed the crusts’ flavor. Peel beets; cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange beet slices on platter. Serve with horseradish crème fraîche.
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Johnson & Wales University. Vincent Armada, Dean of Culinary Education Jorge de la Torre, and Deanna Fontaine (l to r) developed these recipes. Known as a recognized leader in culinary education, JWU is changing the way the world eats. For info, visit jwu.edu/denver.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g