Pure Blends Vegan Mac & Cheese
This plant-based mac and cheese recipe is the ultimate vegan comfort food.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr 10 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
- 2 1/2 tablespoon Pure Blends™ Coconut Oil Plant-Based Butter, divided
- 1/4 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 quart unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 ounces cheddar-style dairy free shreds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast seasoning
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked until al dente and drained
Combine 1 Tbsp. Pure Blends™ Coconut Oil Plant-Based Butter with bread crumbs and set aside.
In a large saucepan over low heat, whisk together 1 1/2 Tbsp. Plant-Based Butter with flour to make a roux. When the mixture becomes a paste and light blond in color, gradually add the almond milk and garlic, whisking or stirring to work out any lumps. Simmer the sauce, stirring frequently, until it is smooth, reduced and slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in vegan “cheese” and nutritional yeast. Season, if desired, with salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat oven to 400°. Toss sauce with cooked pasta and pour into shallow baking dish. Top with crumbs and bake 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Calories: 630kcal | Carbohydrates: 101g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 590mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g