Strong Muscles, Strong Mind
How to use gym time to keep your brain sharp.
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups stemmed, finely chopped kale
- ¼ cup lightly packed, chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup lightly packed, chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup halved red seedless grapes, or 3 tablespoons raisins
- Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer; rinse well under cold running water.
- In a small saucepan, bring 1½ cups of water and ½ teaspoon of the salt to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa and cover. Decrease heat to low and simmer for 15–20 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until quinoa is just tender. Remove from heat and allow quinoa to rest for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- While quinoa is cooking, whisk together lemon juice, remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt, cumin, coriander, crushed red pepper flakes and olive oil together in a large bowl. Add kale and give it a quick massage with your hands. Add quinoa, mint, parsley, lemon zest and grapes and toss lightly to combine. Serve at room temperature.