This burger was created with the belief that a vegan burger should not taste like birdseed!
Share this Post
Shop IngredientsHow this works
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/8 cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for cooking the patties
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small white onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 7 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons finely grated beets
- 1/2 cup chopped button mushrooms
- 1/8 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 gluten-free burger buns
- Romaine or butter lettuce leaves, tomato slices, grilled onions, avocado, sprouts, vegan mayo, hummus
- Combine flaxseed and water in a blender or food processor and blend on high speed for 30 to 60 seconds until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add garlic and onions, and cook until softened and golden brown, 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and mix well, reduce heat to low, and cook 5 minutes, or until the onions are cooked through.
- Remove skillet from the heat and stir in lentils. Transfer to a large bowl. Fold in half of black beans and grated beet, mix well with a wooden spoon 2 to 3 minutes to combine.
- Transfer half of this mixture into a blender or food processor. Pulse 15 to 30 seconds, until mostly smooth. Remove from blender or food processor and return to the bowl.
- Add mushrooms, green onions, Worcestershire sauce and remaining black beans. Mix well with a spatula or with your hands for 2 to 3 minutes to combine. Add flaxseed mixture and continue mixing until all ingredients are combined.
- Add oats and flour to bowl and mix another 2 to 3 minutes. Ingredients should have a sticky and coarse consistency. Cover and allow mixture to chill in fridge for 25 to 60 minutes.
- Form ¼-inch-thick patties. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat an oiled flat skillet or indoor or outdoor grill over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve burgers on buns with your choice of toppings and condiments.
Rate This Recipe
Share this Post